Bethel Cornerstone Box collection, 1914
Scope and Contents
This collection spans two boxes, one an archival box and the other the original metal box from the time capusle behind the cornerstone. The items of this collection were placed in the time capsule in 1914, selected as important reflections of the history of the Bethel and the Swedish Baptists in America. These include newspapers, church bulletins, written histories, yearbooks, and a Swedish Bible.
Box 2, the original cornerstone box, contains items that showed signes of mold growth and were not placed in Box 1 with the other materials.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for researcher use.
The time capsule box was placed inside the cornerstone of the new Bethel Seminary building on July 19, 1914. Autumn of 1914 was the first semester of the Bethel Institute, a combination of the Seminary and Bethel Academy, with G. Arvid Hagstrom as president. The Seminary moved from Morgan Park, Illinois to St. Paul, Minnesota for this transition. The Seminary building was dedicated on November 22, 1914. It is unknown when the box was taken from the cornerstone, although it likely occured during the campus transition from Snelling Avenue to Arden Hills.
1 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The arrangement of the materials in this collection does not reflect any particular order. Three books/booklets are kept in the original time capsule box to prevent mold present on them from spreading.
- Rebekah Bain
- August 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description